Wednesday 11 December 2013

Geneations of Learners



Sedi Minachi                                                                           Oct 15, 2013
PIDP 4150
REFLECT: Generations of learners
Objective:

The objective of this journal is to reflect on my learning experiences based on working with different generations of learners in an online forum.

Reflective:

According to Teras (2011), new technology and new communication tools have been embraced by different generations, but it was the generation born in post 1970s which started using computers, video games and digital technology.  In my experience, although many of us have been using computers, cell phones and other new communication tools since the 1990s, the millennium generation is the tech savvy using both digital technology and social media, which as stated by Teras (2011), this generation is born to use naturally.  

I came to Canada in 1988 and heard of desktop computers for home use. I could not afford to buy one because they were too expensive at the time when many people did not have computers at home. However, since the early 1990s, the prices slowly dropped and many students and working people were able to purchase them for personal use. I bought my first computer in 1994. It was super slow and old because I bought it second hand from a friend. Initially, I used it for writing school papers or reading online news. Email was introduced to me by my partner in 1997, when I opened my first hotmail account but didn’t check my email frequently. Now, I cannot imagine living without a computer, email, cell phone, Facebook, Twitter and Skype, as they are part of my daily life.
Even though I’m facebooking, tweeting, skyping, etc., the new generation (born after 1990) is much more advanced in using new technology compared to people of my generation. It’s natural for them to easily adopt and use new technology to assist them with their school work. I have seen many kids teach their parents how to use smart phones and how to navigate Facebook. It seems like their brain has been naturally wired with digital technology and social media.
This new generation is very quick to adopt, accept, learn and use new technology to express themselves in public and to communicate remotely across borders. Similar to other people my age, I rely on the new generation to help me learn how to make the most of new technology. For example, my younger brother who only has a high school diploma taught me how to use my smart phone’s microphone to record an interview.   
Interpretive Questions:

Considering how 21st century learners embrace and adopt technology faster and are more skilled in using it to communicate, learn and network, I need to learn from them to keep up to date with technology to best position myself to teach online courses. Without any doubt, my generation of educators/facilitators needs to understand this tech savvy generation by planning effective strategies and designing curricula meeting their educational goals and desires. In addition, we need to incorporate emerging technology into every (online and traditional) course design to motivate learners to take advantage of formal and informal learning opportunities and encourage them to use social media to engage their peers in collaborative activities.
This e-learning program has opened up a new world for me and changed my perspectives on effective teaching methods that are based on cooperative/collaborative work among learners and course facilitators.  I learned that the new generation of learners is different from my generation and my parents’ generation. Also, as long as my generation and the generation before mine resists adopting strategies incorporating the use of emerging learning technologies and social media assisted learning, there will be misunderstanding between generations. This misunderstanding will impact learners’ performance, growth and success (Tapscott, 2009; Shirky, 2008).  If older generations of educators are slow to respond to the demands of younger generations, or if they do not incorporate digital technology and social media into educational curricula, the education system will miss important opportunities to educate learners and build an increasingly collaborative society that’s better at solving important challenges.

Decisional Questions:
My motivation in taking VCC’s e-learning certificate program is to pursue my aspiration of teaching in a non-traditional setting by making myself available to learners worldwide. Therefore I am interested in creating inclusive opportunities to help multi-ethnic learners from across the world grow and become successful individuals in this diverse-global knowledge society.
As an e-learning educator/facilitator, I will constantly learn and expand the use of emerging learning technologies and social media assisted tools to create courses and programs which adequately serve the new generation. To facilitate this, first I will be open to learn and develop my knowledge about digital technology from this digital generation. Second, I will design courses that allow collaborative work among learners. In this regard, I should note that creating effective cooperative and collaborative online learning environment requires particular skills and behaviours on instructor’s side.  Therefore, I need to learn and develop skills on how to promote discussion among online learners so that they are able to express themselves in a safe environment, how I facilitate and manage interactions among them and how to promote online activities with respect to valuing diversity among the new generation of learners.

References
Shirky, C. (2008). Here Comes Everybody: the Power of Organizing Without Organizations. Penguin Publisher.

Tapscott, D. (2009). Grown up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World. New York: McGraw Hill.

Teras, H. (2011). Empowering Teachers to Meet the Digital Native Learners. Academica.edu http://www.academia.edu/420105/Empowering_Teachers_to_Meet_the_Digital_Native_Learnerslast visited: Oct 15, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment