Sunday 12 January 2014

Summarizing my Learning from PIDP 4150



 Sedi Minachi Journal #3
Objective Questions: My Learning Experiences about Developing an Effective Online Course
In my experience, developing an effective online course depends on how the course provides a sense of leadership to the learners’ community so that they contribute to the learning experience and the development of course content. As stated by Boettcher and Conrad (2010), “Having learners lead activities also supports Vygotsky’s theory of the zone of proximal development” (226). In order for the learners to develop skills through an online course, I think it is important that the course instructor assumes the role of coach, shaping, supporting, clarifying and critiquing (Boettcher and Conrad, 2010) instead of directing and telling students what to do.  For example, the instructor needs to empower learners to be self-directed in working on a project whether individually or in a group. In this sense, as stated by Boettcher and Conrad, “Learners then can see themselves as knowledge generators and connectors”, not as those who follow the instructor’s direction. Although designing and implementing a learner-led online course can be challenging and complex, the instructor should clarify the outcomes of an activity such as developing expertise in being self-reliant and problem solvers in a cooperative and engaging process. The objective of this paper is to reflect on the development of an effective online course with respect to my learning experiences throughout the PIDP 4150 course.
Reflective Questions: Matching PIDP 4150 with Learner’s Experience
Through PDIP 4150, I gained knowledge about learning theories (e.g., experiential and transformative learning), teaching guideline/principles, online teaching best practices and teaching tools. As part of the course requirements, I developed my own professional blog and gained experience in working with a partner to complete a wiki project.
This course has become a template for me to use designing effective and meaningful online courses meeting the needs of communities of engaged learners. For instance, I now know to use various online tools to facilitate experiential and transformative learning theories among learners, and to provide an opportunity to them to actively reflect on their new skills. In addition, through this course, I learned about the importance of providing effective and constructive feedback to learners so that they develop writing skills and critical thinking.   
In addition to providing relevant course content, effective teaching, and being available to meet student needs as required, I will ensure learners have access to online support services. Like their counterparts taking on-campus courses, distance education students taking online courses should have access to online support services such as advising/counseling, financial aid, libraries, tech help desk, academic writing centers, etc. 
Interpretive Questions: Moving Forward
The first important fact I learned in this course is that as an online course instructor, my role is to be an accessible, responsive, transparent facilitator open to creative ideas. This is because when online learners do not receive the support they need from the course, they quickly become frustrated and discouraged from finishing the course. This will negatively impact the reputation of online courses, and in particular the course not meeting students’ needs. Therefore, it is important that the instructor provides a nurturing and encouraging environment empowering and supporting learners throughout the course which also implement experiential and transformative learning theories and reflect on skills learned throughout the course. 
Decisional Questions: Applying PIDP 4150 in Designing an Online Course
            As experience has shown, the elearning industry is rapidly attracting students from both the new and older generation of learners. Educational institutions are increasingly offering online courses to students who can access these courses from anywhere worldwide having electricity and internet access.
I think, online courses provide freedom and flexibility to both learners and instructors and teach them to become good time managers. Working as an online instructor is attractive to me and I am eager to pursue my career in this exciting field because it gives me the opportunity to teach from almost anywhere while enabling me to engage diverse students from different cultural backgrounds worldwide from the convenience of my own home.
 All the useful learning theories, teaching guidelines and tips I learned throughout this course have increased my motivation to facilitate effective and meaningful online courses following proven teaching and course design guideline, with transparency being the foundation of my teaching ethics. Nevertheless, my primary goal in designing and delivering online courses is to create an atmosphere fostering mutual learning between the instructor and students and between peers. For me to be a creative and open minded instructor, I will keep abreast of new technologies and online tools and adopt those enabling me to more effectively interact with my communities of learners.

Word Cited
Boettcher, J. V. & Conrad, R. M. (2010). The Online Teaching Survival Guide: Simple and Practical
Pedagogical Tips. Jossey-Bass: Wiley.


No comments:

Post a Comment